Prep time: 25mins; Cooking time: 35mins; Total time: 1hr
Notes / Tips
- When mixing in the egg whites into the warm soufflé base, make sure you whisk a third of the whipped egg whites to lighten the base. Carefully fold in the remaining egg whites with a spatula or large metal spoon, delicately cutting and lifting the mixture to ensure minimum loss of volume and lightness. Do not whisk!
- Use 10-12cm diameter ramekins
For the soufflé base
- 50g all purpose white
- 25g unsalted butter
- 25g White Truffle Clarified Butter
- 450ml full fat milk, warmed
- 140g Comte cheese, grated
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 3 medium egg yolks
For the soufflé mix
- 7 medium egg whites
- 1 tbsp salt
- 100g Comte cheese cubes (1cm)
- 10g unsalted butter
- 40g caster sugar
- Using a pastry brush, thoroughly grease 6 10-12cm round ramekins with a thin, even layer of butter. Coat with the caster sugar, shaking out the excess, then refrigerate the ramekins.
- Heat oven to 170C / gas 4 and place a baking tray on the middle shelf to heat up.
- To prepare the soufflé base, melt the butter and white truffle clarified butter in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Add the flour, whisk for 3-4mins until smooth and cook to a nutty blond roux. Lower the heat, then gradually add the warm milk, little by little, whisking to keep the consistency smooth. Add the grated cheese and continue to cook, stirring from time to time, for 3-5 mins. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little.
- Add the egg yolks to the warm soufflé base and whisk until the mixture is silky and smooth. Season with black pepper and keep warm.
- In a large dry bowl, whisk the egg whites to medium peaks (firm mixture) and season with a pinch of salt.
- Transfer the warm soufflé base to a large bowl and briefly whisk in a third of the whipped egg whites to lighten the base. Carefully fold in the remaining egg whites with a spatula or large metal spoon, delicately cutting and lifting the mixture to ensure minimum loss of volume and lightness. Add the Comte cubes, mix briefly with a spatula
- Pour the soufflé mixture into the prepared ramekins, 3/4 full.
- Slide the dish onto the hot baking tray and bake for 12mins, removing the soufflé when it has puffed up and is golden. Make sure the oven door remains shut for the duration of the baking.
- Top each soufflé with a quenelle of white truffle clarified butter, sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over the soufflés, and drizzle the white truffle maple syrup. Serve immediately.