Don't call the Chinese takeaway for crispy duck with pancakes – TRUBEL's white truffle maple syrup glazed duck breast on pancakes recipe is so easy to make and it's healthier, too.
Yields 3 pancakes
Prep time: 1hr 10mins, Cooking time: 15mins, Total time: 1hr 25mins
Notes / tips
- Pass pancake mix through a fine sieve to get rid of pieces.
- No need to oil duck breast for cooking or glazing as the fat from the skin is enough.
For the Pancakes (makes 10 pancakes):
- 250g sieved plain flour
- 3 whole eggs
- 1tbsp vegetable oil (we use rapeseed)
- 1 pinch salt
- 5g baking powder
- 300ml whole milk
- 30g White Truffle Butter
For the duck breast:
- 250g free-range duck breast
- 30ml White Truffle Maple Syrup
- Combine flour, baking powder, vegetable oil, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk egg and milk into the mix.
- Cover the mix and allow to rest in fridge for 1 hour.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and melt 10g of white truffle clarified butter. Spoon the batter in batches of 3 onto the skillet, and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula, and cook until browned on the other side.
Duck (good for 3 pancakes):
- Score the skin of the duck breast at 2cm intervals, then season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Place the duck skin-side down in a cold non-stick frying pan, then turn the heat on to medium-high. Cook for 8 minutes without moving it, or until the fat is well rendered and the skin is golden and crispy.
- Turn the duck over and cook for 4 minutes on the other side, then remove to a plate to rest, leaving the pan of duck fat on the heat.
- Add 15ml of truffle maple syrup into the hot pan and add the duck breast. Let it simmer for a minute and turn over.
- Slice the duck breast at an angle and divide over the pancakes. Spoon over more truffle maple syrup, to finish.
Switch on the fire under the pan again with 10g maple syrup inside let it heat and put inside the breast for a minute to glaze.
Remove from the pan, slice and eat
Serve with a nice glass of red wine to elevate the truffle maple syrup even more.