Yields 15-20 croquettes depending on size
Prep time: 8hrs, Active time: 30mins, Cooking time: 30mins, Total time: 60mins
Notes / tips
- Do not add any salt to the filling until the end because the Ham acts as seasoning
- 50g Black Truffle Paste is the minimum recommended but you can use as much as your umami receptors desire
- The filling the mixture needs to be very stiff to form the croquettes
For the filling:
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ small leek, diced as small as possible
- 100g Iberico Ham or other air-dried ham, diced as small as possible
- 50g Black Truffle Paste
- Black Truffle Oil
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 sprig of Thyme
- 80g plain flour
- 75ml vegetable stock
- 325ml full-fat milk
For the breadcrumbs:
- 100g seasoned, plain flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten and seasoned
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- Sunflower oil for deep frying
- Maldon Sea Salt, flake onto fried croquettes
- Gently heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the leek, bay leaf and thyme. Sauté until soft but not coloured. Stir in the ham and fry for 1 min, then stir in the flour and fry over a medium heat, stirring constantly for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour the stock and milk in a pan and heat on a medium heat but do not boil. Once hot, slowly add the liquid to the filling, stirring constantly.
- Once you’ve incorporated all the liquid, continue to cook the filling over a medium heat for about 10 mins or until it thickens and leaves the sides of the pan when you stir it. This is the most important step because if the mix isn’t thick enough, your croquettes will split at either the bread-crumbing stage or during frying.
- Finish with the Black Truffle Paste. Taste, season with black pepper and adjust the salt if necessary.
- The filling now needs to cool down. Spread in a large tray that will fit in your fridge - check this first or you’ll have fun and games. Once the filling is no longer hot, cover with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight.
- You will now be able to roll your filling into balls. Prepare three bowls / containers: the first filled with the seasoned flour, the second with the seasoned, beaten egg and the third with the panko breadcrumbs.
- Gently place a couple of the croquettes into the flour, dusting off any excess. Followed by the egg and then the breadcrumbs. Put them on a tray and, when you’ve used up all the mixture, place in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Fill a large saucepan one-third full with the sunflower oil and heat the oil to 180C - If you’re unsure on the temperature, heat the oil until it starts to shimmer. Fry 3-4 croquettes at a time until for 1-2mins or until golden brown and ensure the filling is hot. Once cooked, drain on kitchen paper, season with Maldon Sea Salt and a drizzle of Black Truffle Oil. Eat straight away.